Tips To Minimize Water Damage From a Flood
Tips To Minimize Water Damage From a Flood:
To prevent water damage from a flood from ruining your home use these tips and tricks.
- Have your plumber check the sump-pit and sumps pump (if you have them) to ensure they are working correctly and not blocked.
- Ask your plumber about installing a backwater valve. This device stops water and sewage from coming back into the house during heavy rainfall.
- Invest in water leak sensors and alarms that alert you to leaks in the home.
- Keep your floor drains clear of obstructions.
- Seal cracks around windows and in the basement, foundation and floors.
- Protect your HVAC system. If possible have a professional elevate the furnace and hot water tank, to get it off the basement floor.
- Install shelves in your basement to keep items off your floor. Do not keep valuables and important documents in the basement. Store them upstairs where they are less likely to become damaged.
- Do not pour fats, oils, and grease down your drain. They can solidify and clog pipes.
- When there is heavy rain minimize your water use.