If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (864) 292-3137

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Candle Safety Guidelines

10/12/2021 (Permalink)

Candle Safety Guidelines 

Fall is officially here in Greenville. I know you can't wait to decorate your home, prepare for Thanksgiving, and enjoy all the fun fall activities. As the heat and humidity begin to drop and the leaves begin to change into vibrant colors, I know nothing gets you in the fall spirit quite like lighting your fall scented candles. When using these candles to create a warm cozy fall atmosphere in your home, always remember that open flames are a potential fire hazard. Below are a few tips you can use to avoid a fire in your home.   

Candle Fire Safety Dos:

  • Put out candles whenever you leave the room or go to bed. Always check the manufacturer's instructions for the suggested amount of time you should burn a candle. 
  • Always burn your candles in well-ventilated rooms.
  • Keep candles at least one foot away from anything flammable, such as paper, decorations, curtains, plants, and clothing.
  • If you are using candle holders, always use sturdy candle holders that you know won't easily tip over. Place candle holders on horizontal, stable, and heat-resistant surfaces.
  • If you are burning multiple candles in an area, keep them at least three inches apart to ensure that they won't melt one another.
  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets. Always place them up high or in areas they cannot easily reach. 
  • Consider replacing burning candles with battery-operated flameless candles in your home. Most electrical candles look and smell like real candles.

Candle Fire Safety Don’ts:

  • If you are in a small room, don’t burn too many candles. Limit yourself to burning only one candle in a small area. 
  • Don’t burn candles in rooms with vents, drafts, fans, or air currents to avoid rapid, uneven burning, flame flare-ups, and soot formation.
  • Don’t use candles in bedrooms or other sleeping areas. Statistically, most fires started by candles occur in the bedroom. Opt for using a diffuser or flameless candles in bedrooms. 
  • Avoid burning candles all the way down to the bottom of the jar— put out candles when there are at least two inches of wax left or ½ inch if they are in a container.
  • Don’t move candles while they’re burning. Hot wax can drip and cause injuries or severe burns. Extinguish candles before moving them or move them before lighting them.
  • Avoid using candles during a power outage. Instead, use LED flameless candles, flashlights, or battery-powered lighting. 
  • Never use water to put out a candle to prevent hot wax from splashing. If your candle comes with a lid, never extinguish the flame by placing it on top of the burning candle. Use a candle snuffer to extinguish candles.

If you have smoke or fire damage caused by a candle and are unsure of what to do next, don't worry; Call SERVPRO of South Greenville County (864) 292-3137. We respond immediately to any fire loss in an effort to mitigate the existing damage, prevent further secondary damage, and reduce restoration costs. 

Other News

View Recent Posts