3 Common Causes of House Fires and How You Can Avoid Them
3 Common Causes of House Fires and How You Can Avoid Them:
No one ever believes a fire can start in their home. However, everyday tasks that go unnoticed can ultimately lead to a fire in your home. Take note of the following common causes of house fires below and how you can prevent them.
- Cooking: Your kitchen is the number one area where a fire can occur. Unattended cooking is the number one cause of fires in the kitchen. Never leave the room while you are cooking with a heat source. If you cannot stay in the room the whole time, ask another adult in the family to watch over your food. Always use a timer when cooking food for long periods of time. However, we know accidents happen so, be prepared by having a residential fire extinguisher, a lid, or baking soda within reach just in case you need to smother a fire quickly.
- Heating Equipment: When the weather turns colder, heaters are essential to warm our houses. You should only use space heaters if a small portion of your house needs to be heated. Keep your space heater away from anything that could easily catch fire, including curtains, laundry, blankets, and furniture to prevent a fire. Allow three feet of free space around all heaters. Always plug heaters directly into an outlet and not into a power strip. If your home relies on a furnace, call a professional and have it inspected once a year. It is also important to install carbon monoxide alarms. Alarms need to be on every level of your home, outside each sleeping area, and inside every bedroom. Test the alarms monthly to ensure they are functioning and replace the batteries every six months to help keep you and your family safe.
- Faulty Wiring: You probably don't think about your home's wiring. However, faulty wiring has the potential to start a fire in your home. There are a few signs you can look out for that indicate your wiring isn't working correctly. If your lights dim when you use an appliance, if you can't use multiple appliances at once, or if you frequently blow fuses, your wiring may not be functioning correctly.
- How Can You Prepare: While you can do everything in your power to prevent a fire in your home, accidents do happen. In these moments, you and your family's safety is the number one priority. The difference between safety and tragedy is preparation. Take the extra time to prepare yourself and your family now. Create a fire escape plan with your family. Map out at least two exit strategies for each area in your home. Designate a meeting spot that is a safe distance from your home that everyone knows where to meet once they escape. Practice as often as possible. Check your smoke alarms to ensure they are in working order. If your smoke alarms are ten years old or older, replace the entire unit. Install carbon monoxide detectors if you do not already have them in your home. Place fire extinguishers on every level of your house, especially in the kitchen and garage.
The aftermath of a fire can leave you feeling overwhelmed and unsure of what to do next. The first step towards a successful recovery should be to call SERVPRO of South Greenville County! We respond immediately to any fire loss in an effort to mitigate the existing damage, prevent further secondary damage, and reduce restoration costs. Call us today 864-292-3137!